1. Eat proteins. They contain tryptophan, a large amino that converts to serotonin in the brain. Tryptophan works best when consumed in conjunction with a small bit of carbohydrates.
2. Take a fish oil supplement: It won’t produce serotonin but essential fatty acids play a vital role in brain health and mood regulation.
3. Exercise: This is a natural stimulator of many important “mood” hormones, including serotonin and dopamine.
4. Avoid stimulants such as caffeine, sugar and alcohol.
5. Sleep right.
6. Oxytocin, another feel good hormone, is released when we feel love, trust and comfort. It can be even more powerful than serotonin. If you need a lift, remember the power of simply spending time with your significant other or family members and friends.